How to Speed Up Process of Production for Electronics Consumer Industry
If you own a business, any business, the key to achieving success is to have an efficient, organized and reliable manufacturing process as the faster you can make your products, the faster you can sell them. Manufacturing is the process of converting raw materials or components into finished goods or products. If your manufacturing process is too slow, irrespective of how the other parts of your business are functioning, you will lose consumers to competitors.
Especially now in the modern era, the reaction time of making your products can make or break your business. In case of the electronics industry, there are so many varieties of products and manufacturers that there is profuse competition so if you run out of stock you will most definitely lose consumers. This brings us to the question of how to speed up the production process? One of the best ways to go about this is to update the tools you are working with. In this day and time these tools not only refer to the physical ones but also the software you use, which is a major part of every production process now. This can be attained in the following ways:
- Get an efficient ERP system
If you have an electronics manufacturing company, it is absolutely essential to have a competent ERP system that ensures proper inventory of products, deals with the slightest changes in the markets and organizes your work. There are numerous open source ERP software to choose from that allows an organization to succeed in the business and automate many back office functions related to technology, services and human resources. Features such as a routing facility, single BOM for multiple product variants, Master production scheduler, Kanban Planning, Production calendar, backward scheduling, Work orders, Repair etc can enable you to get a competitive edge in the electronics industry.
Some ERP software even have the advantage of tools such as Capital Management, Work Instructions on Work Orders, Maintenance Requests from Shop Floor Terminal, Production calendar and many more. This actually lowers your costs as well since it reduces reliance on labor and forms a clear cut chain of command so nobody can remain unproductive. While looking for a good ERP system, make sure it includes features that can do the following tasks:
- Streamline Complex Processes: keeps separate records of orders. As your business grows and number of orders increase it allows you to automate repetitive tasks and simplify the process.
- Optimize inventory management: updates the status of materials and reorders them automatically so that stock is not low. It should also track the progress of material that is already in transit. Modern ERP systems can even utilize cloud data to enable the availability of material at all times.
- Be flexible enough to be customized to your needs: electronic devices vary from company to company in numerous aspects of manufacture so you must choose an ERP system that can cater to your unique brand of products
- Can manage heavy or sudden Customer Demand: you need to be able to change data at an instant and keep track of past purchases to get a realistic idea of how sales might be in the future
- Enables the flow of real time data: if your tools are slow so will your production process. You need the fastest software to be most competitive.
- Reduce manufacturing process costs
To sell the most products and earn the highest possible profit from it, it is pertinent to lower your per unit cost. By using updated software you can achieve this now as they allow you to pinpoint direct material cost, direct labor cost, overhead cost on Bill of Materials. Moreover, some software now allows you to directly create work orders using the cost data and distributing the costs over work orders. It also allows you to customize and change any data along the production line at any point of production in real time if required. For example it allows you to update actual quantity on work orders for various expenses which then automatically reflects on manufacturing order costing lines based on your ongoing operations. So, if you update the quantity on any one manufacturing order it will auto update all cost lines based on that. You can create cost reports from bill of materials and manufacturing order and analyze it. Finally it helps you to determine unit cost of your production order. All this in the long run allows for a smooth production process avoiding major hitches, and ultimately reducing costs.
- Plan ahead of schedule
The only way to deal with a barrage of rush orders and to actually keep up with it is to schedule things ahead of time and continuously update your data so you can keep a record while simultaneously sending it to the next step of production process. To do so you must:
- Plan manufacturing:Get a clear view of your whole planning and easily reschedule manufacturing.
- Organize work orders:Have access to all available resources and plan ahead for your production.
- Manage Bill of Materials:Keep track of the availability of items in stock and production time.
- Capacity: Use a scheduler, like the MRP II, to gauge capacities and time schedules of your company.
- Keep up proper Maintenance
Often times if one part of the production process is compromised, the whole process is unable to continue, bringing the entire production to a halt. Certain software allows maintenance orders to be placed that send repair requests to the designated maintenance team. These may protect your business from such predicaments. The ERP system for Odoo for example can automate preventive maintenance (regularly scheduled maintenance on items so that they’re less likely to fail) by computing statistics such as average time to failure. This will ensure that your machinery is working to its fullest potential, making for a fast production process and that it never ceases altogether which would otherwise bring forth a huge loss in consumers.
It may be difficult to find separate applications that can provide each of these features and even if you do it would be a great hassle to make them work with one another. This is why Odoo is a great option to speed up process of production since it not only provides each of these features but can also be customized to integrate each application to one another, turning your whole production process into a single well-oiled machine that can tackle any obstacle coming its way. The system allows you to use the MRP application, HRMS, overview the sales and purchases of your products, manage finance and accounting, and also avail the CRM all at one place. reach Odoo now!