The mighty Windows systems could be in trouble over time due to extensive usage. While you use your system to store abundant files & data, use it to run numerous tasks and do other activities, it starts showing diminishing performance. Here, you may find problems like performance lags, slow speed, crashes, freezes, and more. If you are going through a similar situation on your PC, then this article is for you. Here, we have discussed multiple ways to help you optimize and speed up your Windows 10 computer.
Steps to optimize & speed up your Windows 10 system
Update outdated drivers: Lot of important devices on your PC run smooth based on latest drivers. Over time, when your system device drivers get outdated it starts showing performance issues. While many of your device drivers get updated with operating system update, still there remain certain drivers that you need to manually update by heading to system settings. Once you update outdated drivers, you will see improved system performance instantly. To update drivers on your system, follow these steps.
- Go to the Search box on the taskbar, type Device Manager and select it from given options.
- It will take you to the Device Manager window. Here, select & expand the category of the device for which you want to update the driver.
- Now right-click on the selected device and click on the “Update driver” option.
Now a new window will be open with two options:
First, “Search automatically for updated driver software”. It will help you update drivers automatically.
Second, “Browse my computer for driver software”. You can use this option to browse the driver location to update the driver.
Update Software: Next thing you could do to optimize your Windows performance is to update software. Here, with each software update, you get bug fixes, security patches, and various additional features. Here, you get regular software update notifications automatically which you can install for better device performance. Alternatively, you can update the software manually by following these steps:
- Go to Start menu icon and right-click on it to select Settings.
- Once you are on the Settings window, choose “Update & Security” option.
- Choose Windows Update from the left panel.
- Click on “Check for Updates” option in the right panel.
- Once you click on this button, it will help you find & install all available updates for your system.
Manage Startup Programs: If your system is taking too long to boot then there are high chances that a lot of unnecessary programs & services are also running at the boot time. It may include bloatware programs or other unnecessary programs & services that you stopped using for long but didn’t uninstall it. To disable unnecessary programs running at boot tie, follow these steps:
- Right-click anywhere on Taskbar to select Task Manager.
- On Task Manager window, tap on Startup tab.
- Tap on “More details” option to see all the details. It will open and display all programs that run at boot time.
- To disable any of these programs, simply select it and press the Disable button in the bottom-right corner of the window. You can also right-click on the selected program and select the Disable option.
Uninstall Unnecessary Apps & Programs: Unnecessary apps & programs not only occupy valuable device resources, but it also affects your system performance negatively. You may find these apps & programs installed in the form of bloatware that comes installed from the device manufacturer or other programs that you have installed long back and stopped using them for a while. To uninstall unneeded programs on your Windows 10 system, follow these steps:
- Go to Start menu right-click on it and select Settings > Apps.
- Select Apps & Features from left-panel. Here, you will see all installed apps & programs on your PC.
- Here, select the program that you want to uninstall and press the Uninstall button given below it.
Use Disk Cleanup Utility: Disk Cleanup utility is a useful addition to Windows system that comes built-in with every Windows machine. It helps you find & clean all types of junk files to help you recover valuable disk space. It also helps you clean up unnecessary system files for better system performance. To use this built-in utility, follow these steps:
- Search and select “Disk Cleanup” from the search box on the taskbar.
- Select the drive that you want to clean on the pop-up window.
- Here, it will deep scan your system storage and display you all junk files that you can delete on separate Disk Cleanup window.
- To delete any of these files or folders, simply select it and press OK button.
So, these are few quick tips you can follow to optimize and speed up your Windows 10 performance. In addition to these steps, you can also use the best PC cleaner software to clean and boost your system performance. If you have tried some other tricks to optimize your PC, then feel free to comment below.