If you own a laptop, but have no idea how it works, you’re not alone. With so many technical features, you may have no idea why your computer is beginning to run slowly or why your computer is lagging when you have multiple applications opened on your computer. Is it your WiFi , or a virus, or something else on your computer? Specs like resolution, processing speed, internal storage, and RAM may mean nothing to you, but these features are what keep your laptop up and running.
What is RAM?
If your laptop is experiencing lagging or is beginning to take a long time to load or process, the problem most likely has to do with your memory. Random access memory (RAM) is your laptop’s short-term data storage that is only used when your computer is powered on. So when you’re surfing the web, filing in a spreadsheet, listening to music, or playing a game, that’s your RAM doing the hard work. However, depending on the size of your RAM, you can experience issues if you begin to use a lot of applications or play games with large data sizes on your laptop. So what do you do when your computer begins to run extremely slow? Buy a new laptop? Or get a memory upgrade? If you’re looking to save money, updating your RAM is the way to go.
When looking into RAM sizes, you may be overwhelmed, which is why you may want to research different RAM sizes to find one that meets your computer needs. Today, we will talk about DDR4 RAM and how to install it on your laptop.
What is DDR4 RAM?
DDR4 Ram stands for Double Data Rate Fourth Generation Random Access Memory. DDR4 RAM has a high overall speed, uses less voltage to preserve power consumption, and boosts bandwidth. Compared to its predecessor DDR3 RAM, DDR4 RAM is great for those who regularly use video editing software, play games, or engineering programs. Additionally, DDR4 RAM has a larger span of clock speeds, which boosts processor speed, consumes less power, and can handle more information at once to keep your laptop running fast and smooth.
What Comes With DDR4 RAM?
DDR4 RAM has an abundance of new upgrades that will make your computer run faster and smoother. Below are a few specs that are important to take note of when upgrading to a DDR4 RAM.
- Size options: 8GB/16GB
- Speed: 2133 and 4266 MT/s
- Operates on as few as 1.05 volts
- Data Rates: 1600 Mb/s- 3200 Mb/s
- More clock speeds
When looking into installing DDr4 RAM into your computer or laptop, make sure that it’s compatible with the model of your computer. Knowing what you’re going to use your computer for, such as gaming, will allow you to determine how much RAM you need. To determine whether your computer or laptop is compatible with one of the size options for DDR4 RAM, you need to research what type of motherboard your computer or laptop has and this will tell you what type of RAM is supported. However, if you have a computer or laptop that utilized DDR3 RAM, you will most likely need to purchase a new motherboard as well since DDR4 RAM has more notch locations. Once you determine if your computer or laptop is compatible with DDR4 RAM, it’s time to purchase a DDR4 RAM kit begin the installation process.
How to Install DDR4 RAM on Your Laptop
- Begin by first unplugging your laptop from all power sources and any connecting cables and turn your laptop on its side.
- Take out the side panel that will give you access to the interior of your laptop. Once inside, you will see the RAM slots, typically next to the processor and cooler.
- Once you locate the RAM slots, slowly and carefully take out the RAM sticks by pressing on the tabs and holding them.
- Next, grab your new RAM sticks, pair the notches with the gaps in the motherboard, and push the RAM sticks in until you hear them click. If you don’t hear a click, don’t jam in the RAM stick because this could cause damage to the motherboard. Take the RAM stick out and make sure it matches the correct notch. The outside tabs should hold the RAM sticks in place.
- Once you are done installing your DDR4 RAM, put the side panel back in place and restart your laptop. Now, you can enjoy the new functions and faster speed of your laptop.
Hooray, you successfully installed a DDR4 RAM into your laptop or computer! Now you are able to enjoy playing your video games without any lagging or boost your multitasking abilities when swamped with work.