One of the main concerns that we have today is protecting our information and data. Whether it’s our home computer or office one, the security of personal information and prevention of viruses are our priority. Apart from protecting our computer from online threats and inside viruses, outside attacks can also pose threats to our system. So it’s important to protect our computers from an unchecked flash drive or other external devices as they might also carry viruses.
Apart from threats of viruses from external devices, there is also the possibility of copying your personal data without your permission. People can also save your data on CD/ mobile devices without you noticing as they don’t need any authorization to connect to your system.
These must be enough to scare anyone and make sure to protect your system and transfer of data process through USB ports. It’s time to password protect your USB port using the software so that no one can steal your data or infect your PC with viruses. Here is a list of best USB port blocker tools and manual steps that provide security, password protection, security from malware and viruses as well as the answer your question how to lock USB port.
Renee USB Block
You can totally rely on Renee USB block for keeping your privacy safe and secure. It effectively locks down unauthorized USB access as well as white lists devices that you trust. This tool is compatible with windows 10, 8, 7, and other versions and is one of the highest-ranked USB enable software, as well as USB, disable the software.
- You will have to set a master password when you run this tool for the first time which you can change later if you want from the general settings.
- To enable or disable your USB port just click on USB & CD lock then check the options that meet your requirement.
- To give permission to external devices to connect to your system you need to go to security and select ‘automatically pop-up the check password dialog box whenever you plug in USB disk’.
- Doing this will make sure whenever an external device is connected to your PC you will get a notification and will have to grant permission by entering your master password.
Adding a USB device to the white list will simplify the process for you as you don’t have to grant permission again and again for the external devices that you trust. You need to click on ‘USB & CD lock’ and then click on the add button which is at the right side of the ‘white list of trusted devices’. After clicking it a pop window will appear and here you need to select the targeted USB drive which you want to keep in your white list.
Systools USB Blocker
This is one of the most user-friendly tools for locking and unlocking your USB port. It is compatible with all the versions of windows and will keep unauthorized devices away from accessing your data unless you give permission. You can block or unblock as many USB ports as you want and no data will be hacked when you are not around.
USB Driver Disabler
One of the easiest ways to safeguard your USB port is to use USB driver disabler. It can simply disable USB memory stick without disturbing your USB based mouse, printers, and scanners. This tool will help you lock down unauthorized flash drives and external devices. It is a super lightweight tool for your system and is available for free to download. You can keep your computers safe from malware, viruses, and other threats that might enter via external devices by using this simple tool.
If you don’t want to use any utility tool as a USB port blocker then you can even enable and disable your USB port manually by following these steps for your windows. However, it is a bit time consuming but let us guides you through it in an easy way.
How to lock USB port manually?
- Changes in windows registry files.
- To open the registry editor just type ‘Regedit’ in the search box and navigate to HKey_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlset\Services\USBSTOR registry key.
- Now click on start key which is in the right pane and select modify in the sub-menu of it.
- After this in the small pop up window, you will see the value as three under ‘value data’ which means that your USB port is enabled.
- To make sure it is disabled, you need to change the data to 4. Lastly, click OK to let the changes take effect.
Via Device Manager
- To open the device manager, go to the search box and type ‘msc’.
- Click on universal serial bus controllers which will display the list of USB ports and here you need to right-click on the USB port and click on disable the device.
- This is an easier way to disable your USB ports on Windows 10, 8, and 7.
These are a few of the ways in which you can ensure the security of your system from external USB threats, either by using software or doing it manually.
Above we have mentioned how to lock USB ports or USB port blockers with a password using manual steps and software. If you have any suggestions or questions, feel free to mention them in the comments section below.