Video creators know well that cutting a large video into shorter clips is useful if they want to publish the videos to content-sharing sites, upload to a cloud storage service or send the videos to others via email. From your experience, which video splitter program works fast and steadily? What video splitter software can cut a video into 2 parts or multiple segments while keeping good video quality? If you find an easy-to-use video splitter, video editing won’t be a daunting task. We have handpicked 7 free video trimming software and briefly list their features, pros, and cons for you to compare them and choose your ideal tool.
MiniTool MovieMaker is a feature-packed video editor that can be used as the video splitter software on Windows computers. With this software, you could easily trim/split the video into many parts or combine multiple video clips into one. In addition, it offers many other video editing features for you to create videos with a professional, sleek look.
- Use the software as video splitter, video trimmer, and video joiner for individual use.
- The software provides some video templates to save your time to craft videos.
- The free songs in the audio template library can be used as your video background music.
- It comes with a full set of transitions, filter effects, animated texts, and flexible color correction settings.
- You can convert the video to other formats or change the video resolution.
- Speed up the videos, make slow-motion videos or reverse the video to add a rewind effect.
How to Split Video with the Free Tool of MiniTool MovieMaker?
Step1. Install this free video splitter on Windows 10/8/7 PC.
Download MiniTool MovieMaker at the official website and install the freeware on your computer.
Step 2. Import your video file(s).
Run this video splitter software and you will see the main UI, (see picture below). The interface is composed of 3 parts, including the media library, preview window, and timeline. To import the video files that you wish to split, please click the Import Media Files button at first.
Once it’s done, the imported files will show in My Album, now drag and drop them into the timeline at the lower part of the interface.
Step 3. Choose a method to split the video files.
Method 1. Split a large video file in the video track
Select the video in the timeline, play it, and stop it where you want to split. Then, a scissors icon will automatically appear soon, tap that scissors icon, the video will be spit into two parts immediately.
Method 2. Split a video accurately / frame by frame
Select the video you need on the timeline, click the scissors icon on the toolbar → choose “Full Split” to open the SPLIT/TRIM window, when it’s done, play the video and stop it where you want to cut it → click the scissors icon, finally, click OK to confirm.
Step 4. Save the new videos on your PC.
If you feel comfortable with all changes in the video, click the Export button at the upper-right corner to save the new clips. In this step, you could choose a video resolution and select a format for the output video, for example, MP4, AVI, WMV, WEBM, MPEG-2, MOV, MKV, and TS.
- This entirely free video editing solution won’t leave a watermark.
- Can support for 4K video editing.
- Can split both video files and audio files on Windows.
- Trim the video to remove some parts that you do not need.
- The movie templates will help you handle editing takes more efficiently.
- If you need an accurate result, you can use MiniTool MovieMaker to split videos frame by frame.
- The software is only available for download on Windows for now.
2. Windows Movie Maker
Windows Movie Maker is a great solution for PC users to edit videos and then share them to YouTube, Facebook, Vimeo, and OneDrive, etc. By following the simple steps, you can split video clips.
Step 1. Click the “Add videos and photos” button to import a video (or several video files) to this free video splitter software.
Step 2. Go ahead, drag the black Vertical Line to the proper position in the video, when it’s done, click Video Tools > Edit > Split, at last, make sure the content looks good, save the new video.
- As a well-known desktop video editor, Windows Movie Maker is easy to understand for users of all skill levels.
- Microsoft has officially discontinued updating the program.
- It does not work steadily, the program crashes or freezes during video playback.
3. Windows Photos
If you are using Windows 10 computer, you might try the hidden video editor Photos app to easily split/trim videos.
How to Split a Video with Photos App on Windows 10 PC?
Launch the application, click ”New video”, click the + Add icon to import a video file or multiple videos. After that, please drag and drop that video file to the timeline.
Select one video file, when it’s done, hit the ”Split” button that is under the preview window.
Move the blue icon to the position where you want the video to be cut → click Done → then click Finish video to save the newly trimmed videos.
- The clean design makes the video editing process easy to understand.
- The application comes with the features of photo browsing and searching.
- It also empowers you to add music, 3D objects, or special effects to your videos.
- It is suitable for beginners to do quick trims and perform basic tasks.
- This app does not have the functionality to add video transitions. Some users find out the app takes up far to many resources on Windows PC.
In fact, the outstanding cross-platform media player software VLC can help you to split large videos into many segments.
- Split/trim the large audio files and video files with a few simple clicks.
- It provides good compatibility with many types of multimedia files, saving you the trouble to download additional codecs.
- VLC media player sometimes has lagging, or stuttering issues.
- It is short of some advanced video editing features.
- The software won’t support splitting video clips precisely.
- You will need to wait quite a long time to split the big video files.
Another good solution that I would like to recommend is MP4Tools. This open-source, software helps video creators split large videos into many pieces and join multiple video clips into one.
- Directly split/merge the videos without re-encoding.
- You can use the batch conversion mode to edit videos more productively.
- This program offers good quality for the output video.
- The MP4 video splitter tool only supports MP4 videos.
The free video editor, OpenShot, has a good reputation. It is free to download on Windows, Linux and Mac OS and can also be used for splitting videos and merging video clips as well.
- Openshot supports editing nearly any type of video and audio files.
- The animation framework and video effects are impressive for both novice editors and professionals.
- It supports more than 70 different languages.
- Sometimes the program runs a little slowly, especially when you apply video effects.
- You will need to install some additional plug-ins to use 3D animated titles and other digital effects.
7. iMovie –Popular Video Splitter for Mac OS X
iMovie is one of the most preferred, if not the go-to video editor for Mac OS X users to easily trim video, apply different transition effects, add music/text to videos, and so on.
- The clean, intuitive interface is friendly to the users, including the less tech-savvy people.
- It comes with a range of audio enhancement tools.
- This video editing application has many movie templates.
- You cannot use the application to split videos into smaller parts by frame.
- You are only allowed to add a limited number of video tracks (maximally 2 video tracks).